Top Ocean University With Excellence in Teaching and Featured Research
- Founded in 1953, National Taiwan Ocean University (NTOU) has become a well-fledged university (with 6,458,346 square feet) on account of the superior leadership of the past principals and the efforts of the faculty, staff and students, originally named Provincial Taiwan Maritime Technology College (with only 10,677 square feet), Maritime College and National Taiwan College of Marine Science and Technology. NTOU is an ocean-based university, but not limited to the ocean and also an internationally well-known university with excellence in teaching and featured research.
- NTOU has three campuses: The main campus, Matsu campus, and Guanyin-Taoyuan campus. We have seven colleges, consisting of 22 departments, 12 graduate institutes, 28 master programs, 20 doctoral programs, 13 in-service master programs, and four bachelor programs of extension education. NTOU has nearly 9,000 students and about 500 overseas students, which makes NTOU the top ocean university internationally.
- The main campus is situated in the mountains and faces Keelung Harbor, near Heping Island, Zhengbin Fishing Harbor, Bisha Fishing Harbor, and the National Museum of Marine Science and Technology. The main campus is a beautiful harbor/city university with Longgang Ecological Park and has the endless ocean view of the Pacific Ocean. Matsu campus was founded in Sept. 2017 and has three departments. In addition to the teaching/learning and research, the goal of the Matsu campus is to closely integrate with the development of Matsu industry. We established Matsu Ocean Research Center in order to promote more industry-university cooperation, biotechnology developments, infrastructure constructions, shipping developments, and the developments of leisure and recreation. With the multi-faceted developments, it is expected to develop more cross-disciplinary marine professionals. In Guanyin-Taoyuan campus, we also established the Ocean Innovation Incubation Base, a platform for marine environment observations, and a marine science park, which assists Taoyuan city government to build a metropolitan Taoyuan city.
- In the past years, NTOU has been awarded for teaching, research and service. Since 2005, we were awarded Promoting Teaching Excellence Universities Project promoted by the Ministry of Education. Since 2006, we were also awarded Top University and Excellent Research Center Project, Top University Project, Higher Education Sprout Project (both two parts), and University Social Responsibility. With the support of Higher Education Sprout Project, we are able to build the best research centers: The Center of Excellence for the Oceans (CEOE) and The Center of Excellence for Ocean Engineering (CEOE). An NTOU publication, Journal of Marine Science and Technology, is the first journal commissioned ELSEVIER Publishing Company, and included in both SCI and EI databases, which is the highest award for our teaching, research, and service.
- NTOU actively integrates academic resources to expand research energy, competes for research and industry-university cooperation projects, and recruits international marine professionals. Additionally, NTOU actively combines the characteristics and advantages of the ocean, improves teaching, experiment, internship, and field investigation equipment, promotes cooperation between university and industry, and strengthens industry-university research and development. Based on the implementations, we have obtained very significant results. First, the funding of industry-university research and technology transfer has sharply risen since 2011. The amount of industry-university fund has grown from 580 million to more than 1.25 billion, and the amount of technology transfer fund has grown from 4 million to more than 50 million, which is outstanding. Secondly, NTOU vigorously encourages off-campus internships and short- and long-term internships abroad in order to promote the integration of students’ professional learning and practical experience and to expand students’ international outlook. Furthermore, “Ocean Pearl Fund” with 20 million NT dollars is established to recruit international masters, PhDs and to enhance teaching and research qualities. “2+1” dual degree is also promoted to enhance internationalization. In accordance with national policies, National Ocean Policy White Paper and Green Energy, NTOU develops special professionals and high-paying talents. These talents include off-shore wind power marine engineering, smart ships, captains, AI applications, food science, marine environment conservation, high-tech biotechnology, biomedicine and aquaculture. Finally, the school encourages student club development and provides sports facilities, implements whole-person education, and cultivates talents with marine humanistic qualities. In addition, we also actively cooperate with various senior high schools, universities and research institutes at home and abroad to expand our influence and contribution to society. By doing so, we bring honor and credibility to NTOU!
- Building upon the school’s past teaching and research achievements, I am going to adopt a pragmatic approach based on my background in construction engineering to lead the NTOU with the goal of constructing the best NTOU. First, I will continue to promote teaching excellence and innovation, create understanding and harmony on campus, and implement social responsibilities. Second, I will create more new resources. The results of key-featured research will be used to strengthen and encourage more industry-university cooperation and to enhance national competitiveness and world university rankings. By fulfilling these goals, we are going to develop more cross-disciplinary marine professionals who share both local and international perspectives for Taiwan. NTOU thus becomes an impressive and indispensable university in Taiwan. NTOU is an active and respectful top ocean university dedicated to excellence in teaching and research worldwide.